- Cephalopod BiologySynthesize and analyze the available knowledge on cephalopod biology, physiology and welfare
- Cephalopods in ResearchMonitoring the application of “Guidelines for the Care and Welfare of Cephalopods in Research”, the improvement of experimental practices
- Directive 2010/63/EUMonitoring the impact of the transposition of Directive 2010/63/EU and MFSD in Member States.
- Cephalopod needsEvaluate the environmental, biological and behavioral needs of different cephalopod species to increase success of caring, maintenance, growth and rearing aimed to reduce stress and increase welfare in research and aquaculture establishments
- Cephalopod requirementsIncrease knowledge on nutritional requirements of different cephalopods species at various developmental stages including those required to improve health and welfare in aquaculture
- Cephalopod knowledgeIncrease the knowledge of biological and physiological indicators (e.g. biomarkers) of welfare for cephalopods, also by increasing the use of alternatives to live animals in research, and the use of non-invasive approaches
- Cephalopod welfareIncrease of knowledge and identification of pathogens, mechanical damages, signs of stress and diseases in cephalopods. Study of the trophic relationship for cephalopods, with special attention to the transmission of parasites, thus allowing evaluation of animals well-being and ecosystem health.
- health statusDevelopment of protocols for assessment of health status of cephalopods, thus providing guidance for researchers, veterinarians and regulators.
- Noise ImpactEvaluation of the impact of underwater human noise on cephalopods (in compliance with Directive 2010/63/EU and MSFD)
- Severity Assessment of proceduresDevelopment and application of consensus Severity Assessment of procedures (compliant with Directive 2010/63/EU) utilized with cephalopods
- biological and physiological findingsAnalysis of biological and physiological findings relevant to stress, nociception, pain assessment and management relevant to cephalopods. Evaluation of alternative methods to be utilized in experimental procedures.
- anesthesiaEvaluation of physiological and stress response during anesthesia. Development of humane end-point
- physiology and neurophysiological in cephalopodsEvaluation of the current effort/interest for physiology and neurophysiological studies on cephalopods
- Cephalopod welfareContribution to the development of noninvasive/automated techniques for assessing physiological status of cephalopods.
- Cephalopod databasesDevelopment of online databases as guidance and inventory of alternatives
- CWI - Cephalopod Welfare IndexFurther development of the CephsInAction CWI (Cephalopod Welfare Index) database-project by collection of statements (from scientific literature and best-practice), identification of animals’ needs, thus facilitate the linking of ‘statements’ to biological ‘needs’ in order to determine indicators of cephalopods welfare.
- DisseminationDissemination and Educational activities. Development of an EU accredited Training School Programme for Cephalopod Biology and Care in compliance with Directive 2010/63/EU
based on the last Work Budget Plan (GP5 – 01/05/2017 to 13/10/2017)
This website is supported by COST, European COoperation in Science and Technology